Chamonix town is at the foot of Mont Blanc and was one of the world's earliest ski resorts, even hosting the first winter Olympic Games in 1924. The town is quite the international hub and is renowned throughout the world, not only for being the location of Mont Blanc, but also for its skiing and year round alpine activities.
Situated at 1035 metres Chamonix has a permanent population of approximately 10,000 people and consequently, unlike other mountain resorts in France, there is plenty going on in both the summer and winter seasons. The town boasts a wide range of restaurants, bars, cafes and shops and includes facilities such as a sports centre with indoor and outdoor (summer only) swimming pool with slides, ice rink and cinema showing films in both English and French.
Chamonix also has a number of attractions, including the Aiguille du Midi and the Mer de Glace and is home to the Brévent and Planards ski areas. All this combined with breath-taking scenery and a wide range of summer and winter activities, make Chamonix one of the most popular tourist destinations in France.
Chamonix Town Map
Restaurants in Chamonix
- Bighorn Bistro | American | Family run restaurant and bar with exceptional service offering hearty cuisine close to the Aiguille du Midi
- Casa Valerio | Italian | Renowned Italian restaurant serving some of the best pizza’s you’ll find this side of the border
- La Calèche | Savoyard | If you are looking for Fondue and Raclette in a traditional mountain restaurant steeped in Chamonix history - this is it
- Cap Horn | Traditional French / Asian | This is a smart fine dining restaurant with an great sushi platter. Booking is recommended.
- Cool Cats | Street Food | Delicious, great value fast food restaurant specialising in artisan hot dogs
- Monkey | Burgers, Vegan & Vegetarian | Reasonably priced restaurant and bar serving a variety excellent burgers alongside some of the best vegan & vegetarian food to be had in Chamonix
- MOÖ | Burgers | This Swedish restaurant and bar offers a variety of appetising burgers and an a good salad bar at lunchtimes
- Mumma | International | A new popular restaurant with a néo-bistrot atmosphere. Mumma is designed with sharing in mind.
- Munchie | Asian Fusion | This is a renowned restaurant providing mouth-watering, original dishes in a convivial atmosphere. Booking is recommended.
- Pizzeria du Moulins | Italian | Affordable family pizza restaurant offering a fantastic menu on the Rue des Moulins
- Satsuki | Japanese | Relaxed, family friendly restaurant with superb food. Great for lunch as well as dinner
Bars and Nightlife in Chamonix
During the winter season there is the apres-ski scene with live music from 4pm in several venues, most notably Chambre Neuf and the La Folie Douce, but there are plenty of quiet and cosy meeting spots for a vin chaud and a chat.
Whilst during the summer the majority of bars expand onto the streets offering attractive terraces where you can relax in the sunshine and soak up the atmosphere.
Most of Chamonix’s bars stay open until 1am but you can carry on partying until 4am or later in the Amnesia or Le Tof nightclubs.
Here are a couple of bars we’d recommend:
- Bar du Moulin | Sophisticated wine bar often hosting late night DJ sets
- Bar d’Up | Great value, causal bar with regular happy hours and Sing Star nights
- Beckett & Wild | Traditional Irish sports pub with a great atmosphere for all the games
- Beer O’Clock | A place for beer lovers with a wide variety of beers
- Bighorn | Excellent tailor-made cocktails and a great selection of craft beers
- Le Chamonix Social Club | Elegant cocktail bar with regular DJ sets
- Chambre Neuf | The winter Apres Ski bar with live bands from Sunday - Friday.
- Elevation | French bar popular with mountaineers and extreme sports enthusiasts with a excellent terrace
- La Maison des Artistes | Wine bar within a jazz music venue for budding artists
- Point Isabelle | A good place to enjoy a quiet vin chaud or a generous cocktail with friends
- La Terrasse | Casual bar within an icon building in the centre of Chamonix. Boasts fabulous views of Mont Blanc from its sunny terrace
This webcam is provided courtesy of Chamonet
More Information On Chamonix
For further information about the resort please visit Chamonet.com .