Skiing & Boarding In Grands Montets Ski Area
Grands Montets is renowned in the Chamonix Valley for its off-piste terrain but don’t let that put you off - this ski area is accessible for all level of skier and snowboarder. Situated in the village of Argentière, which has direct bus and train links with Chamonix town, the resort has a total of 28km of piste and 17 lifts. The Grands Montets cable car (reservations available) also provides access to the highest piste in the valley (3725 metres).
If you are completely new to snowsports and staying in Argentière its best to start on the Chosalets nursery slopes at the lower end of the village. At Grands Montets itself beginners can practice on the gentle blue pistes accessed from the Plan Joran and Tabé lifts. Intermediate will enjoy the long top to bottom reds from the Herse and Bochard lifts. For advanced skiers and boarders there are several challenging black runs from the top of the Grands Montets cable car as well as from the Herse and Bochard lifts. If you are a fan of off-piste, the open terrain at this resort offers numerous possibilities - you’ll just need to get up early enough to ensure fresh tracks.
Ski-tourers will be pleased to know there is a dedicated skin track at Grand Montets that leads through the forest from the base of the lifts to the top of the Logan cable car (see piste map below for the route).
Non-skiers who want to explore the mountain can try snowshoeing along the path from the top of the Lognan lift station to the bottom of the Retour Pendant lift (see piste map below for the route).
Generally Grands Montets is open for skiing and snowboarding from early December through to the end of April / beginning of May. Please check the opening dates for the latest information.
Mountain Restaurants in Grands Montets
- Brasserie Les Marmottons | Situated at the base of resort behind the Lognan cable car serving traditional French cuisine including crêpes in a relaxed low key atmosphere
- La Cremerie du Glacier | Charming Savoyard restaurant in the woods (accessible via an off-piste track from the Pierre a ric piste) with excellent service and delicious food
- La Table de Plan Joran | This restaurant has two section - a sit down area with an a la carte menu serving refined French cuisine and a canteen / pizzeria
Apres Ski in Grands Montets
- Brasserie Les Marmottons | Casual bar at the bottom of the piste with plenty of deck chairs to lounge in
- Fubar | A very lively, great value bar where you can ride a Bucking Bronco!
- The Office | This English bar is one of the places to go for Apres Ski
- Le Savoy | A small relaxed french bar with a great atmosphere
- Le Slalom | Popular cosy bar that often runs fancy dress and salsa nights
- La Yaute | Close to the entrance of the Grands Montets ski area this bar and restaurant often has live apres ski bands
Interactive Piste Map - Grands Montets
Lift Status - Grands Montets
Webcam - Grands Montets
Grands Montets Ski Area at a glance
- Snowmaking machines: Yes
- Resort height: 1250m
- Highest lift: 3275m
- No. of lifts: 10
- No. of pistes: 17
- Total piste length: 28km
- Snow parks: Yes
- Purpose built: No